Who uses refractometers?
Refractometers are used for a wide variety of food, medical and industrial based applications. Here is our list of some of the most popular uses for refractometers:
- Automotive - Used for temperature measurement of anti-freeze coolants for vehicles.
- Vets - Used for the measurement of plasma protein in veterinary blood samples.
- Marine & Aquariums - Commonly used in marine aquariums for measuring salinity or salt levels and gravity of water.
- Jewellery & Geology - Refractometers are most commonly used to measure the transparency of gemstones as part of a refractive index which is used to determine the quality and type of gemstone being examined.
- Food & Cooking - Brix refractometers can also be used to measure the sugar levels in fruit and preserves such as honey, chutneys and jams in home cooking and restaurants.